- by ShopSK .com
History & Appreciation:
The Whiskey Sour is of the older cocktail recipes. The cocktail recipe was originally seen in Jerry Thomas’ book, The Bartender’s Guide, in 1862. The history behind the conception of the drink; however, actually originates a century before that, when sailors and those looking for a new life in the new America’s would fix alcohol and their scurvy-fighting rations (think limes/lemons) as a more fun way to get their nutrients. Once these sailors and immigrants would finally land (sometimes the trek being longer than a year) they would continue to drink their favorite way of getting their daily dose of vitamins.
What you’ll need:
The Whiskey Sour doesn’t need too many ingredients however a shaker is definitely encouraged. The short ingredients list:
- Bourbon (we like this one the most)
- Lemon Juice (the fresher the better)
- Simple Syrup
- Egg White (if you’re feelin’ like a real sailor)
How to make it:
Now it’s times to make a Whiskey Sour. We highly encourage a cocktail shaker but a blender will also suffice. These directions will assume you already are a badass at-home cocktail maker and have gone out to get the shaker.
- Get it ready. Put 2oz of Bourbon, ¾ oz of fresh lemon juice, ¾ oz of simple syrup (the kind you’d put on your waffle) and, if you’re up for it, ½ of an egg white (it’s still really good without it) in the shaker. Make sure to NOT put ice, yet.
- Shake it. Shake the ingredients in the shaker (without ice) until everything is completely mixed. Next add ice and shake again until the drink is chilled.
- Leave the ice. Strain the drink into a coupe or whiskey glass. Make sure you only pour the liquid, leaving the ice in shaker in order to avoid cocktail dilution.
- Enjoy! We like to slowly sip a Whiskey Sour. Make sure to really enjoy the tang of the drink. Don’t rush cause now you know how easy it is to make, you can always make more!
THERE YOU HAVE IT! You have just made a beautiful cocktail (we won’t judge if you put it on the gram). For quality cocktail ingredients and at home delivery, go to ShopSK.